Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Trip is Booked!

I finally got my vacation booked, though I made some major changes to it. We will not be going to Kenya after all. I called the state department to check on any travel warnings and sadly there are serious warnings for Americans traveling to Kenya. There have been credible threats against Americans and 2 people were recently kidnapped. As badly as I wanted to go, its not worth risking my life or my son's life.

Se we will be visiting just Egypt. We will be leaving May 1 and return on May 11. We will be traveling with a tour group. I am not comfortable traveling alone. In Egypt, it is frowned upon for a women to travel alone. Its different when you are with a group. Its recommended for single women to wear wedding bands. The local men have more respect for married women.

From California, my son ad I will be flying to Cairo with stops in New York and Madrid, Spain. Its going to be a long flight. But the two stops will help break it up. Our tour includes a 4 night Nile river cruise. We will be seeing the Great pyramids in Giza, the step pyramid, which is the oldest pyramid in the world, several temples and we get to tour the tombs in the Valley of the Kings.

I sent off for our travel visa's today. We could get our visa's at the airport in Cairo but that leaves a window for unexpected problems to come up. So we are getting ours here in the states so everything will go smoothly.

It should be great fun.

No comments: