Thursday, January 22, 2009

Got My Travel Visa


I got my Egyptian travel visa. Surprisingly, it consisted of an ink stamp and looks like 2 postage stamps in our passport books.


I have been doing extensive research on Egypt, reading lots of reviews and looking at people's vacation pictures. A few of the things I have learned from those who have already been there is that you shouldn't drink the water including ice cubes, bottled water only. Fruits and vegetables are not washed so do not eat any salads or fruit unless you peel it. Stick with cooked foods.


Several people suggested I take Antinal with me which is a anti-bacterial medication in the case of food poisoning or bacterial illness. I will take Antinal along with my usual Imodium which I always take and because of all the dust I will also take plenty of Asthma medication for my son and allergy pills.


My son and I have been doing a lot of studying on Egyptian history so we know the history behind what we are seeing.
As it turns, we will have quite a long layover in Madrid, Spain. We will have stops in New York and Madrid. Our layover in New York is about 3 hours which is not bad but in Madrid we have about 7 hours. The good news is that Ilberia Airlines has a lounge at the Madrid airport that we will be able to use. It has TV's, couches, beds, showers, food, drinks and newspapers. So we will at least have a comfortable place to hangout.
I was hoping for the long layover in London. You can easily catch a train right from the airport into the city and knowing the city I would feel comfortable running around it for a few hours. But no such luck. I will do some more research into whats close by the Madrid airport to see if there is something we can do nearby.
We are very excited about this trip and can't wait to go!

No comments: