Monday, September 8, 2008

Budget Traveling

I am a huge budget traveler. I actually worked as a travel agent but wasn’t very good at it. Not that I messed anything up I just kept showing people how to save money or travel on a small budget and since we worked on commission that wasn’t the best thing to do. We earned a percentage of the sale so the agents were always trying to “up sell” so they could earn a higher commission. Now I work as a travel advisor, which means I teach people how to plan a budget vacation.

The most important thing is to never spend more then you can afford. If you spend your vacation worrying about how you are going to pay for it, you have wasted your money. I always recommend paying for the vacation before leaving even if that means you have to save for a little while.

For me, I have what I call my “travel fund.” Which is a separate place where I keep only money designated for travel. This way I know exactly what I have to spend and thus what type of vacation I can take. I save for my vacations one dollar at a time. I do lots of little things to earn money to go into my vacation fund. I sell items on Ebay, I sell copies of photographs I take, I teach online classes and I am involved in one of those pyramid business, one that actually pays, weekly.

My son also earns money so he will have his own money to spend on the trip. Kids love to have their own money. Our deal is if he makes the money he can spend it on anything he wants. He recycles, sells his old toys, DVD and video games on Ebay. He sells other items at yard sales. I have found that he is much more careful with his spend when its his own money versus me buying him things.

If possible, pay for your vacation entirely before you go. That way you don’t have to worry about paying for it when you get back and you can have a worry free vacation.

No comments: