Monday, July 28, 2008

To Insure or Not to Insure

Now that is a good question!

Most vacation packages come with the offer to purchase travel insurance, which can be fairly expensive. For someone traveling on a tight budget, espeically those with more then 2 people in their party, travel insurance can add a hefty some to their expenses.

However, if something comes up and you have to cancel your vacation, it can get you some, if not all of your money back. (Minus the cost of the insurance)

I personally have gone both ways. Before I was married and had my son, I mostly traveled without insurance. The only person I had to worry about was me but now I always get it and have had to use it. Earlier this year I had a cruise to Alsaka all planned and paid for when my husband called me from work and said his boss just happen to be taking the same week off and said he didn't want them both gone on the same week, even though my husband had already put in for that week off. So I had to cancel the cruise. But because we had the insurance I was able to get our money back.

Also I am the caregiver for my mom who has Alzheimer's so I never know what will come up with her and having the insurance takes that extra stress off.

When purchasing travel insurance keep in mind the following:
  • Make sure you know what the insurance covers.
    It doesn't cover every situation, tour companies and cruiseline insurance mostly it covers death and illness.
  • You have options.
    You don't have to purchase the tour companies insurance, you can buy it from an outside source. There are a number of insurance companies that offer travel insurance, usually at a much cheaper price then the tour companies and they give you more coverage.

So do your homework before you buy travel insurance and don't assume you can only get it through the tour company or cruiseline.

Here's a couple of travel insurance sites to get you started:

www.travelinsured.com

www.travelguard.com

www.insuremytrip.com


No comments: